Brays Oaks Truck Accident Lawyer
Semi-trucks transport and deliver almost all of our everyday necessities, making them crucial to the economy and our way of life. Unfortunately, trucks can also prove to be dangerous on the road. Truck accidents tend to be much more devastating than other types of crashes, often leaving victims with long-term injuries or even fatalities. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, 4,119 people died in large truck accidents in a single recent year.
If you’ve been injured in a truck accident in Brays Oaks, Texas, you don’t have to face the at-fault truck driver and trucking company on your own. Pines & Goldenzweig, PLLC, has the knowledge, skills, and resources needed to take on large trucking companies and insurers to fight for fair compensation.
Contact us today to learn about your options for a personal injury claim and how we can help you in a free consultation.
What Makes Truck Accidents So Complicated?
Contrary to what many may believe, semi-truck accidents are different than car accidents. Truck collisions are much more challenging to handle for multiple reasons:
- Trucks cause more severe injuries. Due to their large size and massive weight, trucks have the capacity to cause catastrophic injuries in a collision. More costly injuries and property damage can add a layer of complication to truck accident cases, as they require more time and money.
- The trucking industry is highly regulated. Trucking companies, truck owners, and truck drivers must follow numerous state and federal safety regulations to protect others on the road. These regulations govern a variety of areas, including the number of hours a driver can work without a break, the records that drivers and trucking companies must keep, and the number of inspections they must perform to ensure the trucks are safe.
- Insurance policies are worth more. Unlike other drivers, truckers must carry much more insurance because of the high likelihood of destruction in an accident. The policy limits are usually $1 million or more. More insurance often means greater pushback from the insurance company, as they will do whatever possible to limit liability and avoid a substantial payout.
- Multiple parties can share fault. Many times, truck accidents do not occur solely because of driver error. More than one party can be liable for a truck accident, including:
- The truck driver, who must drive cautiously and abide by state and federal rules and regulations
- The trucking company, which must ensure drivers are properly trained and trucks meet safety requirements
- The owner of the truck, who may be liable if their truck is not properly maintained
- The cargo-loading company, which must ensure cargo is properly balanced and secured
- The individual or company responsible for truck maintenance
- Manufacturers of truck parts, if defective parts contribute to an accident
How a Brays Oaks Truck Accident Attorney Can Help You
A qualified truck accident lawyer in Brays Oaks can give you the peace of mind you need. Our personal injury lawyers can handle your truck crash case from start to finish, helping to ensure everything is taken care of in a timely manner as they pursue compensation for your serious injuries.
Our personal injury law firm will conduct a thorough investigation of the truck wreck, file a strong claim on your behalf, negotiate aggressively for full financial compensation, and be prepared to take your case to court, if needed, to pursue the outcome you deserve.
Causes of Truck Accidents in Brays Oaks
Some of the most common causes of commercial truck crashes include:
- Truck driver fatigue
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence
- Faulty brakes or other mechanical defects
- Insufficient driver training
- Lack of maintenance
- Overweight loads or improperly loaded cargo
- Poor road conditions
- Trucking company negligence
Evidence We Gather in a Truck Accident Claim
Building a strong truck accident case requires gathering solid evidence. Some of the evidence we may gather includes:
- Accident scene photos and videos
- Information from the police accident report
- Maintenance logs
- Information from the truck’s electronic data recorder
- Hours of service logs
- Witness statements
- Medical records
- Accident reconstruction analysis
Compensation in a Truck Accident Claim
The compensation you may be entitled to after a truck accident will depend on the particular details of your case. Compensation is typically broken down into economic and non-economic losses.
Economic losses are objective monetary losses, such as:
- Medical bills and other medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Future losses, such as medical care and lost earning capacity
- Property damage
- Wrongful death benefits in fatal truck crashes
Non-economic losses, on the other hand, are subjective and harder to assign a monetary value, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental and emotional anguish
- Loss of consortium
A third, less common form of compensation includes punitive damages. This form of compensation is granted only in rare cases where a defendant’s gross negligence caused the accident.
Time Limit for Filing a Truck Accident Lawsuit in Brays Oaks
When filing a personal injury lawsuit, it is essential to keep the statute of limitations in mind. The statute of limitations limits the length of time an individual has to file a lawsuit. In Texas, the statute of limitations for truck accidents is two years from the date of the crash. The statute of limitations is strict. If you try to file your lawsuit after the statute of limitations has expired, you will likely be unsuccessful.
To avoid missing out on your chance for compensation, it is best to consult with a trucking accident attorney in Brays Oaks as soon as possible.
What to Do After a Semi-Truck Accident
- Seek and follow through with medical treatment. After a truck accident, it is imperative you seek medical care. Even if you feel fine at first, there may be some latent injuries that an examination may reveal. It is important to follow through with all medical treatment and recommendations. Anything related to your medical treatment will be well-documented in your medical records, which will play an integral role in your case.
- Gather and maintain information and evidence. From photos of the accident scene to witness contact information, anything you feel is relevant may be helpful to your attorney. It’s also useful to track the impact of your injuries on your life in a daily journal. While your attorney will also gather evidence, whatever information you provide may prove useful.
- Avoid discussing your case with others. Anything you say to the insurance company could potentially be used against your case, as can information you post on social media. It is best to refrain from sharing details about the accident and your injuries while your case is pending.
- Get help from a Brays Oaks truck accident law firm. Truck accident cases are complex, and it is almost always best to have the help of an experienced truck accident attorney on your side. Consult with a truck accident lawyer in Brays Oaks soon after your accident to begin working on your claim.
Talk to a Truck Accident Lawyer in Brays Oaks Now
The personal injury attorneys at Pines & Goldenzweig, PLLC, are ready to help. Our team wants to hear your story and provide the legal help you need. We serve truck accident victims throughout Houston, TX.
Contact us today for a free consultation.