Uninsured & Underinsured Accident Attorney in Houston TX
Getting into an accident caused by another driver is already a frustrating event. Unfortunately, you may find yourself in a far more difficult situation when you learn that the at-fault driver doesn’t have auto insurance. If you’ve been injured in a car accident with an uninsured driver, you may wonder how you’ll get the money you need to cover your medical expenses, lost income from missed work, and other damages. Fortunately, you have options available to you.
At Pines & Goldenzweig, PLLC, our Houston uninsured accident lawyers help crash victims identify all possible options for pursuing the compensation they need. Our service to you, however, goes beyond simply handling your insurance claim. We’ll work to ensure that you have access to the medical treatment and rehab services you need. We’ll also help with your property damage claim to get your car fixed or repaired. We do everything possible to take the stress off you.
Contact our firm today to speak with a Houston uninsured accident lawyer about your options. We offer free consultations and are ready to discuss your case.
What Is Uninsured Motorist Coverage?
With uninsured motorist coverage, your own insurance company steps in to cover your losses if the at-fault driver did not have insurance. Uninsured motorist coverage can be used to cover those losses that the uninsured driver would have been held liable for. Uninsured motorist coverage can also be used to provide compensation to an injured victim of a hit-and-run accident where the at-fault driver cannot be identified and is therefore presumed to lack insurance coverage.
What Is Underinsured Motorist Coverage?
In a serious accident, the at-fault driver’s insurance coverage may not be enough to fully compensate you for all your losses. (Many drivers only carry the minimum amount of insurance coverage required by Texas law.) When that happens, you may be able to turn to your own insurance company to make a claim under your underinsured motorist coverage. Underinsured motorist coverage provides compensation to the injured victim of a motor vehicle accident for those losses that are not covered because the at-fault driver lacks sufficient insurance coverage.
Understanding Texas Insurance Policy Requirements
Texas law requires all drivers to have an insurance policy that meets certain minimum requirements, including:
- Bodily injury liability coverage of at least $30,000 per person/$60,000 per accident
- Property damage liability coverage of $25,000 per accident
- Personal injury protection coverage – all policies issued in Texas automatically carry this coverage, although you can decline this coverage by sending a written request to your insurer
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, which must be offered by the insurance company and must be expressly declined in writing by the policyholder
In addition to these coverages, you may choose to purchase other types of coverages, including:
- Collision coverage, which pays to repair or replace your vehicle after an accident
- Comprehensive coverage, which pays for damages or loss caused by weather, fire, vandalism, or theft
- Medical payments coverage, which like personal injury protection, pays for medical expenses, but also covers you if you are injured as a passenger in someone else’s car or if you are hit by a car while walking or riding a bike
- Towing and labor, which covers the costs of towing your vehicle following a breakdown, or for roadside assistance like fixing a flat tire or jumping the battery
- Rental reimbursement, which can help with the cost of car rental if your vehicle is damaged, destroyed, or stolen
What to Do If You Are Hit by an Uninsured Driver
After you’ve been involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, you can help protect your legal options for recovering compensation for your injuries and losses by:
- Reporting the accident to the police. An officer will likely respond to the scene to investigate the accident and prepare a police accident report. Make sure to request a copy of this report.
- Seeking treatment for your injuries. It’s important to get examined by a doctor as soon as possible after the accident. Then, attend all appointments and follow your doctors’ orders.
- Notifying your insurance company of the crash. Your policy likely requires you to notify your insurer of an accident, regardless of who may have been at fault, in order to be entitled to file a claim under the uninsured motorist coverage in your policy. Report the basic facts of the crash to your insurer, but do not go into detail about your injuries or how you are feeling.
- Saving documentation to support your case. Hold on to medical bills, receipts, pay stubs, vehicle repair estimates, and any other documentation that may help support your claim to compensation.
- Keeping a pain journal. Track the pain you endure daily as a result of your accident to help show the extent of your pain and suffering.
- Refraining from posting on social media. Even a seemingly harmless social media post may be used against you as you pursue fair compensation for your injuries.
How a Houston Uninsured Accident Attorney Can Help
When you’ve been injured in an accident caused by an uninsured driver, the Houston personal injury attorneys of Pines and Goldenzweig, PLLC, can help by:
- Taking the time to fully understand your needs, concerns, and goals in your case
- Recovering all available evidence from the accident
- Working with expert witnesses to develop a persuasive accident reconstruction showing how the accident occurred and who was at fault
- Exploring alternative sources of compensation when the at-fault driver lacks insurance, such as through the uninsured motorist coverage in your policy
- Handling all communications with insurance companies so that you can focus your time and energy on your treatment and recovery
We strive to make your case go as smoothly as possible for you. We handle all aspects of your case without requiring any upfront fees from you. We get paid only when we win compensation in your case.
Contact Pines & Goldenzweig, PLLC, today for a free consultation with a Houston uninsured accident attorney.