Sharpstown Car Accident Attorney
If you were injured in a car accident in Sharpstown caused by a negligent motorist, you could be entitled to recover compensation for your losses related to the accident. Through a personal injury claim, you could hold the at-fault driver accountable for their actions.
At Pines & Goldenzweig, PLLC, our Sharpstown car accident attorneys have the knowledge and skills to thoroughly investigate the car accident, quickly collect and preserve vital evidence to determine liability, calculate the total extent of your losses, and vigorously pursue the compensation you need to recover.
Get in touch with our attorneys today for a free, no-risk case review to discuss the accident and evaluate your legal options.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Sharpstown
Many different factors can cause a car accident, but the reality is, most of them have to do with driver negligence. Some of the most common causes of car accidents in Sharpstown include:
- Distracted driving – Distracted driving includes any activity that causes a driver to take their hands off the wheel, eyes off the road, or mental focus off the task of driving. Common distractions include texting, talking on the phone, eating and drinking, personal grooming, adjusting the radio, and more. Distracted driving claimed 3,142 lives in just one recent year, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- Drowsy driving – Fatigued drivers may have difficulty focusing on the road and sometimes even doze off behind the wheel. According to NHTSA, there were 697 drowsy driving-related fatalities in one recent year, although NHTSA believes this is an underestimate.
- Impaired driving – Drugs and alcohol impair a driver’s ability to judge traffic situations and slow down the driver’s reaction time. According to NHTSA, about 28 people die in drunk driving-related accidents every day in the United States.
- Speeding – The faster a motorist is traveling at the time of a collision, the more likely it is that the accident will cause severe injuries. According to NHTSA data, speeding caused 9,478 fatalities in one year alone.
- Tailgating – Tailgating occurs when one driver follows the vehicle in front of them too closely. If the car in front suddenly slows down or stops, the tailgating driver may not have sufficient time to react. Tailgating is one of the most common causes of rear-end collisions.
- Inclement weather – Drivers who fail to adjust their speed in inclement weather can cause accidents. When roads are wet and slippery, vehicles moving at high speeds can hydroplane and spin out of control, putting the driver and other motorists in danger.
- Defective parts – In some cases, faulty vehicle parts could be to blame for an accident. For example, if faulty brakes cause a motorist to crash, the manufacturer could potentially be liable for the accident.
If a negligent driver or other party was responsible for the accident and your injuries due to one of the above or other factors, talk to a knowledgeable attorney in Sharpstown or the greater Houston area to learn about your legal options.
Common Types of Car Accidents in Sharpstown
The numerous types of car accidents that could occur in Sharpstown include:
- Head-on collisions, which occur when a driver crashes into an approaching car
- Rear-end collisions, which occur when a driver collides with the back of the vehicle in front of them
- T-bone collisions, which occur when a driver crashes into the side of another car
- Sideswipe crashes, which occur when a driver “swipes” the side of another vehicle, often when changing lanes
- Rollover accidents, which often occur when a driver loses control of a vehicle
- Single-vehicle accidents, which involve one car in the crash but may be triggered by other drivers
- Multi-vehicle accidents, which generally refers to accidents involving three or more vehicles
Types of Injuries from Sharpstown Car Accidents
Depending on the severity of the crash, car accidents can result in serious, even life-altering injuries. Even minor accidents can cause injuries that take weeks or months to recover from.
Some common types of injuries that occur in Sharpstown car accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injuries, including concussions
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Back injuries
- Internal injuries
- Burns, scrapes, lacerations, and cuts
- Broken and fractured bones
Types of Compensation for a Car Accident in Sharpstown
As the victim of a car accident, you could be eligible to pursue compensation from the at-fault party through a personal injury claim or lawsuit. Compensation is designed to help you recover losses you suffered as a result of the accident. You might be able to claim compensation for losses such as:
- Present and future medical expenses resulting from the accident, including hospital bills, surgery bills, prescription drug costs, physical therapy expenses, and more
- Lost wages, if you are unable to work due to the injuries you sustained in the accident
- Lost earning potential, if your injuries prevent you from returning to a job that pays as well as your previous work
- Pain and suffering, including mental anguish, emotional distress, loss of enjoyment of life, and post-traumatic stress disorder
- Property damage, including vehicle repairs
- Exemplary damages, if appropriate, which are designed to punish the at-fault party for extreme recklessness or gross negligence
Texas is a modified comparative fault state, which means you can recover compensation even if you were partly at fault for the accident, so long as you were not more than 50 percent to blame. If you are found to have been partly at fault, the amount of compensation you could potentially be awarded would be reduced by your percentage of fault.
Contact Our Experienced Sharpstown Car Accident Lawyers Today
If you were the victim of a car accident in Sharpstown, Texas, contact our lawyers at Pines & Goldenzweig, PLLC, today. We are a full-service personal injury law firm that focuses on helping car crash victims pursue the compensation they need to recover after an accident.
Our attorneys take cases on contingency, which means you won’t owe us any upfront legal fees. In fact, we collect fees only if we secure compensation on your behalf. You can be sure that we will work tirelessly to pursue the best possible outcome in your case.
Contact Pines & Goldenzweig, PLLC, today for a free, no-obligation consultation.