Although some slip and fall accidents may only result in a few bumps and scratches, these accidents also have the potential to cause serious or life-altering injuries. Victims may suffer from broken bones, neck and back injuries, and traumatic brain injuries, which can leave them with pain and disabilities for the rest of their lives. When a slip and fall accident is caused by dangerous or hazardous conditions on someone else’s property, victims can demand compensation for medical bills, missed time from work, and other losses suffered.
The Houston slip and fall accident lawyers at Pines & Goldenzweig, PLLC, have extensive experience helping victims in these complex cases. We have the skills and the resources to take on large companies and their deep-pocketed insurers to demand the fair compensation you deserve. Throughout your case, we will work to ensure you have access to the medical specialists and other support you need to stay on the road to recovery.
Contact our firm today for a free case evaluation with a Houston slip and fall lawyer. We can get to work immediately on your claim, with no upfront costs to you. In fact, we only get paid if we secure money for you.
What Do You Have to Prove in a Houston Slip and Fall Claim?
Texas law obligates property and business owners to take reasonable steps to keep their premises free of dangerous hazards that can injure lawful visitors. This duty requires owners to either make dangerous conditions reasonably safe or to warn visitors of the presence of such conditions.
In most slip and fall claims, you must prove that you suffered an injury due to a hazardous or dangerous condition of the premises that the property or business owner knew of or reasonably should have known about. This can be proven by showing that the condition was created by the property or business owner, that the owner had discovered or been advised of the condition, or that the condition existed for long enough that the owner should have reasonably discovered it.
For example, if you were injured in a slip and fall accident due to a puddle of liquid in a supermarket, you must prove:
- That the puddle was either created by the supermarket (such as liquid on the floor due to a leaky frozen display), or
- That the store had either already discovered the liquid or been advised of the spill if the puddle was created by a customer’s spill rather than by the store, or
- That the spill existed long enough that the store if it were conducting reasonable checks of the premises, should have discovered the danger
If a customer spills liquid and you slip and fall on it only a minute later, the store will likely argue that it could not have reasonably discovered or remedied the condition that caused you to fall.
For certain types of visitors, such as social guests, delivery people, or door-to-door salespeople, a property or business owner only has a duty to protect them from dangerous conditions the owner actually knows about.
Evidence We May Use in a Slip and Fall Case
At Pines & Goldenzweig, PLLC, we rely on many different pieces of evidence to prove what caused your fall and establish why the property or business owner is legally responsible. Evidence may include:
- Accident or incident reports drafted by the property or business owner
- Surveillance camera footage capturing the accident or the conditions that led to the fall
- Accident scene photos
- Eyewitness statements
- The residue of slippery substances from the shoes or clothing you were wearing at the time of the fall
- Medical records from your treatment
How Can a Houston Slip and Fall Attorney Help?
A Houston slip and fall accident attorney from Pines & Goldenzweig, PLLC, can help take the pressure off you by handling every aspect of your legal claim. We will:
- Meet with you in a free case review to go over your rights, answer your questions, and explain what to expect
- Connect you with medical providers to get treatment for your injuries
- Perform our own investigation into the accident to secure all relevant evidence, including accident reports, surveillance footage, accident scene photos, and witness statements
- Collaborate with accident reconstruction experts to help us persuasively explain what caused your fall and how the property or business owner is legally responsible
- Work with you to collect all documentation of your losses to ensure we are pursuing a full financial recovery on your behalf
- Handle all aspects of your insurance claim, including filing the necessary paperwork and communicating with insurance representatives on your behalf
- Vigorously pursuing a negotiated settlement that provides you with fair and full compensation for your losses
- Preparing your case to go to trial if that’s what is necessary to secure justice for you
With our firm, you can trust that your attorney will take the time to understand your concerns, needs, and goals. Using this information, we can craft a strategy to pursue the best possible outcome for you after a slip and fall injury.