Westwood Car Accident Lawyer
Texas has the most miles of roadway of any state in the U.S. and frequently has some of the highest crash rates in the nation. The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) reported that, in one recent year, a motor vehicle crash occurred every minute and seven seconds, a person sustained a crash-related injury every two minutes and 34 seconds, and a person was killed in a wreck every two hours and 15 minutes.
If you were involved in a Westwood car accident, you may be dealing with painful injuries, missing time at work, and wondering how you’ll manage a growing pile of medical bills. If another driver was responsible for the accident, you have the right to demand fair compensation for your injuries in a car accident injury claim.
The Westwood car accident lawyers of Pines & Goldenzweig, PLLC, can help. Our trusted attorneys have the resources and experience needed to tackle every aspect of your case while you focus on your recovery.
Contact us today to learn more about your legal options in a free initial consultation.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Westwood, Houston
According to statistics published from the TxDOT, some of the most common contributing factors in Texas car accidents include:
- Failure to control speed, driving at unsafe speeds, and driving over the speed limit (140,744 total crashes statewide)
- Distraction and driver inattention (81,798 total crashes statewide)
- Failure to yield the right-of-way (77,535 total crashes statewide)
- Failure to remain in a single lane (39,861 total crashes statewide)
- Unsafe lane changes (33,849 total crashes statewide)
- Disregarding stop and go signals, stop signs, and red lights (32,169 total crashes statewide)
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs (26,289 total crashes statewide)
- Faulty evasive actions (19,718 total crashes statewide)
- Improper turn maneuvers (19,528 total crashes statewide)
- Unsafe backing up maneuvers (8,454 total crashes statewide)
- Following too closely behind other vehicles (8,275 total crashes statewide)
- Fatigued driving and falling asleep at the wheel (7,527 total crashes statewide)
- Unsafe passing maneuvers (4,825 total crashes statewide)
- Cell phone and mobile device use while driving (3,453 total crashes statewide)
- Road rage (1,383 total crashes statewide)
Common Types of Car Accidents in Westwood
Here are some of the most common types of car accidents that occur in Westwood and throughout Texas:
- Rear-end collisions – A rear-end collision occurs when the front end of one vehicle crashes into the rear end of the car in front of it. Many of these collisions are caused by drivers who are distracted or following too closely.
- Sideswipe accidents – A sideswipe accident occurs when the side of one vehicle “swipes” against the side of another vehicle traveling in the same or opposite direction. Drivers who are distracted, drowsy, or impaired frequently sideswipe other cars when they drift out of designated lanes.
- T-bone crashes – A T-bone or broadside crash occurs when the front end of one vehicle crashes into the side of another car, resulting in a T-shaped wreck. Many side-impact crashes occur at intersections when negligent drivers run red lights or stop signs.
- Head-on collisions – A head-on collision occurs when the front end of one vehicle crashes into the front end of another vehicle. Though thankfully rare, this type of collision commonly results in catastrophic damage and life-threatening injuries.
- Rollover accidents – A rollover accident occurs when a vehicle tips onto one side or completely rolls over one or more times. Rollover accidents are more likely to occur due to high-speed collisions and frequently result in fatalities.
Types of Injuries from Westwood Car Accidents
The violent forces of a motor vehicle collision can result in severe injuries to nearly any area of the body. Common car accident injuries in Westwood include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Facial injuries and dental trauma
- Neck and shoulder injuries
- Back injuries
- Herniated discs
- Spinal cord injuries
- Partial or total paralysis
- Dislocated or broken bones
- Knee, elbow, and other joint injuries
- Soft tissue strains, sprains, and tears
- Traumatic amputations
- Crushing injuries
- Bruises, lacerations, and puncture wounds
- Internal bleeding and organ trauma
- Thermal, chemical, and friction burns
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Emotional injuries
- Wrongful death
Damages You May Recover After a Westwood, Houston Car Accident
At Pines & Goldenzweig, PLLC, our Westwood car accident attorneys can help you seek damages in a personal injury claim. In a personal injury case, the term “damages” refers to the money you could recover for accident-related personal and financial losses, such as:
- Medical bills – Any medical bills you incur for the treatment of accident-related injuries, including the cost of things such as ambulance rides, hospital stays, doctors’ visits, prescription medications, and physical therapy.
- Lost wages – The value of any reduction in your wages from the time you missed at work while you were recovering from your accident-related injuries. If you were forced to use vacation or sick time, you could be compensated for that, too.
- Future losses – The projected value of losses you will likely incur in the future due to the accident. That includes things like the costs of medical care you will probably need and projected losses in your lifetime earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering – The intangible costs of the physical pain, mental anguish, and emotional suffering you endure due to the accident and any injuries you sustained as a result.
- Lost quality of life – The subjective costs of any losses you experience in your overall quality or enjoyment of life due to any injuries, disfigurement, disabilities, or psychological trauma caused by the accident.
- Vehicle repair costs – The costs of repairing or replacing your vehicle if it sustained damage in the crash. You could also receive compensation for damage to other personal property or items that need to be repaired or replaced.
- Incidental expenses – Any out-of-pocket expenses you incur for accident-related incidental costs, such as the costs of in-home assistance or the costs of traveling to and from medical appointments.
Talk to a Westwood Car Accident Attorney for Help
When you contact us online or call Pines & Goldenzweig, PLLC, for help, we can review your situation and provide professional advice in a free initial case evaluation. We can also start work on your case immediately, with no up-front or out-of-pocket costs to you. You will only pay us if we successfully win you money, so don’t hesitate to take action now.