Can I Recover Compensation for a Single-Vehicle Accident?

car crashing into electricity pole

When you’re injured while driving or riding in a vehicle involved in an accident that involves no other cars, you may not know what options you have for obtaining compensation for the expenses you incur. A knowledgeable attorney from Pines & Goldenzweig, PLLC, can help guide you through the process of seeking financial recovery for your losses.

Our full-service car accident and personal injury firm is dedicated to assisting injured people in Houston and throughout Texas to pursue fair and full recovery after suffering severe physical harm. Contact us now for a free consultation about your legal rights.

What Is a Single-Vehicle Accident?

A single-vehicle accident refers to any motor vehicle crash that involves only one vehicle. In a single-vehicle accident, the car may spin out of control and veer off the road or flip over. Or the car may impact other objects or property, such as a building, a median divider, or a light pole or signpost.

When Is a Driver Liable for a Single-Vehicle Accident?

The driver of the vehicle is not responsible for every single vehicle accident. A driver may lose control of their car through no fault of their own, such as due to a mechanical failure related to a defect in the vehicle or improper vehicle maintenance. Poor road conditions related to inadequate construction or maintenance could also be the cause of a single-vehicle accident.

In addition, another driver may be liable if their actions caused the driver of another vehicle to crash. For example, if a driver attempts an unsafe lane change, they could cause a second driver to swerve off the road and collide with an object.

However, the driver involved in the crash may be liable for a single-vehicle accident due to some act of carelessness or recklessness on their part, such as:

  • Speeding
  • Driving too fast for conditions
  • Racing
  • Failure to yield the right-of-way
  • Drowsy or fatigued driving
  • Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
  • Distracted driving
  • Disregarding road signs

Can You Receive Compensation after a Car Crash If No Other Vehicles Were Involved?

When a driver is held liable for causing crashing a vehicle, they may only be able to recover compensation for their injuries and losses from no-fault insurance coverages, such as personal injury protection (PIP) coverage, medical payments (MedPay), or comprehensive/collision coverage.

Passengers injured while riding in a vehicle involved in a single-vehicle accident may be entitled to recover compensation for medical bills and other out-of-pocket expenses from PIP or MedPay coverage under the driver’s auto insurance policy. If the driver caused the crash, injured passengers might also be entitled to seek compensation from the bodily injury liability coverage in the driver’s policy or by filing a personal injury lawsuit directly against the driver.

Contact Our Experienced Houston Car Accident Lawyers Today

If you were injured in a single-vehicle accident, contact the experienced Houston car accident lawyers of Pines & Goldenzweig, PLLC, today for a free initial consultation. Learn more about how our firm can help you pursue a legal claim for compensation for the physical harm and losses you have incurred because of a car accident.

Call us or fill out our online form today.

About the Author

Eric Pines
For more than 25 years, attorney Eric L. Pines has been a trusted advocate for individuals who have seen their lives turned upside down by devastating personal injuries and difficult employment/labor law matters. As a founding partner at Pines & Goldenzweig, PLLC, he is committed to providing a strong voice for people who are at risk of being taken advantage of by large insurance companies. He knows the aggressive tactics that insurance companies use to minimize or even deny personal injury claims. Eric won’t let his clients be bullied. He takes a tough stand to demand the maximum compensation his clients need to move forward with their lives after serious accidents.